Like most of us, no doubt you take it for granted that every time you turn on the faucet, clean water will flow, and each time you flush the toilet, the waste will disappear. These two miracles of human ingenuity were designed to make our lives more convenient. And that’s why it’s so important to give the plumbing that serves your Springfield, IL home the TLC it needs to continue performing at its best. Here are a few smart ways to do that:
Maintain Your Water Pipes
Try these strategies for good water pipe care:
- Check underneath sinks for leaks.
- Have leaky pipes fixed or replaced promptly.
- Insulate water pipes in cold spaces in winter to prevent freezing.
Keep Your Drains Clear
Keeping your shower, tub and sink drains clear through regular care can help you avoid major blockages that can damage drainpipes. Try these tips:
- In the kitchen, be sure never to pour grease down the drain. Instead, dispose of it in a sealed container.
- Unless you have a garbage disposal, use a tight-fitting sink strainer to prevent food scraps from going down the drain. Be sure to do the same in the bathroom to keep your drains clear of clogs caused by hair.
- If you do have a garbage disposal, make sure you never use it for tough, fibrous fruit or vegetable scraps that it can’t grind up completely.
Treat Clogs With Care
Here are a few tips for treating clogged drains and toilets:
- Never use caustic drain cleaners. Over time, they can damage pipes.
- Try pouring salt and boiling water down the drain first.
- If needed, plunging may work for both sink drains and toilets.
- If unable to clear the clog, call a professional plumber who will use a snake to do the job quickly and effectively.
For fast help with clogged sink drains and other similar issues, call (217) 334-4545 and speak to the pipe and drain experts at HRI Plumbing.