Only Certain Things Should Go Down the Garbage Disposal
A garbage disposal installation is handy because it keeps your kitchen clean and reduces the amount of waste that goes to the landfill. To avoid unnecessary repairs and garbage disposal replacements at your home in Springfield, IL, remember that you’re better off tossing certain items in the trash.
Five Items You Should Never Put in Your Garbage Disposal
Garbage disposals power through most food waste and vegetable trimmings, but they aren’t indestructible. For best results, avoid grinding these items:
- Never put bones or clamshells in your garbage disposal. Even small pieces may cause a jam.
- Fibrous vegetable peels wrap around the impellers and strain the motor, so it’s best to place them in the trash or compost bucket.
- Avoid using your garbage disposal to grind hard fruit pits because they often cause jams.
- Don’t pour cooking oil down the drain. It coats the impeller blades and clogs your pipes.
- Always place non-food waste in the trash. If it’s plastic, glass, or metal recycling is an even better option.
Tips for Preventing Clogs and Odors
A new garbage disposal can perform reliably for years. To enjoy trouble-free service, follow these steps:
- Run cold water whenever you use the unit and for two minutes afterward. Make sure that all of the material is processed thoroughly.
- To prevent clogs grind vegetable trimmings in batches and cut large items in smaller pieces.
- If the unit is jammed, use long-handled tongs to remove the obstruction. Your plumber will give you a wrench for freeing clogs after garbage disposal installations.
- To clean the unit, fill your sink halfway with water. Add a quarter cup of baking soda, and run the disposal as the sink drains.
More Info About Garbage Disposal Installations
If you’re having trouble with clogs or if you’re interested in comparing quotes for garbage disposal replacements, call HRI Plumbing in Springfield or Jacksonville at 217-334-4545. You can also find more information about our residential plumbing services online.